Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Georgia O'Keefe Value Drawing

I was lucky enough for a teacher to let me borrow a cow skull for this project. Having this for the kids to observe while they were drawing was a wonderful thing.This picture is an example I made for the students. We looked at the cow skull paintings of Georgia O'Keefe and discussed how she created the skull and the background. Before beginning their drawing, I demonstrated making a value scale. Each student made their own value scale and then were encouraged to use it to create a drawing of a cow skull. I demonstrated drawing the basic shapes of the skull to start their drawing and how to use the value scale to help with shading. I could see a huge difference in the way my third graders were drawing after they were introduced to value.


No comments: